Para la traducción al Español de esta información, haga clic en la opción en Español en la parte superior de esta página.
GEORGIA SENATE BILL 375 - TOBACCO 21 LAW: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
What is Senate Bill 375 (Tobacco 21 or T21)? As of July 22, 2020, the sell or barter, directly or indirectly, any cigarettes, tobacco products, tobacco related objects, alternative nicotine products, or vapor products to anyone under the age of 21 years is illegal in Georgia.
What are retailers required to do? Retailers are responsible for upholding the law. Compliance checks are conducted and enforced on a continuous basis to ensure retailers are following federal and state Tobacco 21 laws that prohibit the sale of all tobacco products. Failure to comply with the Tobacco 21 law will result in a misdemeanor.
- Retailer must display Tobacco 21 signage in clearly visible locations
- Use a state-issued driver’s license, military ID, and passport to verify individuals’ age
- Train all staff on the following steps for every tobacco sale
- Ask for valid ID from everyone attempting to purchase tobacco products
- Check ID to make sure everyone is 21 years and older
- Refuse to sell tobacco products to everyone under 21
Why public health needs retailers help? There has been an alarming increase in the use of tobacco products, e-cigarettes and flavored delivery systems among youth and young adults in our community. Almost 1 of every 5 high school students in Georgia are current tobacco users of cigarettes, hookah, cigars, smokeless tobacco, or electronic cigarettes (Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 2019). As a licensed tobacco retailer, you play an important role ensuring the success of reducing access and use of tobacco products by complying with the Tobacco 21 law.
What are free resources for quitting tobacco? Georgia residents 13 years and older who want to quit smoking, vaping, or using tobacco, can call the Georgia Tobacco Quit Line.
- 1-877-270-7867 (English)
- 1-877-266-3863 (Spanish)
- 1-877-777-6534 (Hearing Impaired)
- Youth and young adults can enroll in This is Quitting by texting VAPEFREEGA to 88709 to quit
Let’s work together to keep our youth and young adults tobacco-free!