What is a Stroke?
- A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is interrupted by a blocked or burst blood vessel.
- Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States
- On average someone suffers a stroke every 53 seconds
- About 600,000 Americans suffer strokes each year
- Every 3.3 minutes, someone dies of a stroke
- Stroke is a leading cause of serious, long-term disability
- About 4 million Americans are stroke survivors
- Stroke costs the U.S. $30 to $40 billion a year
National Stroke Association
American Stroke Association
American Stroke Association - Power to End Stroke
Six Ways to STOP Stroke Through Risk Factor Management