The North Georgia Health District and Georgia's Department of Community Health encourage Georgians to use this month's emphasis of National Preparedness to prepare for the fall flu season.
Currently, both seasonal flu and novel H1N1 flu viruses are circulating among us, so it is important that we not only take extra precautions to slow down the spread of these viruses by doing such things as frequently washing our hands and covering our coughs and sneezes (please see attached materials for specific recommendations), but we also need to protect ourselves by getting vaccinated against the flu as soon as the vaccine becomes available. Some doses of the H1N1 flu vaccine may be available in the U.S. as early as mid-October, however, the regular seasonal flu vaccine will be available locally just within the next few weeks.
The North Georgia Health District and each of our Public Health Departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counties encourage residents to Roll Up Your Sleeve and Arm Yourself Against the Flu by getting your seasonal flu shot as soon as possible.
The Fannin County Health Department will begin administering seasonal flu vaccinations at its location at 95 Quida Street in Blue Ridge on Wednesday, September 9 - residents may begin calling to set up an appointment at (706) 632-3023. The $20 fee for the vaccination may be paid by cash, check, Medicaid, Medicare, State Health Benefit Insurance or by Visa or MasterCard.
Seasonal flu shots will be available at the health departments in Cherokee, Pickens, and Whitfield Counties the day after their kick-off Drive-by Flu Shot Clinics, which will be as follows:
Cherokee County Health Department Drive-by Flu Shot Clinic:
- Cherokee High School, 930 Marietta Hwy, Canton
- Tuesday, September 22, 2009
- 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- For People 13 years old and older
- Cost is $20 - accepting cash, check, Medicaid, Medicare or State Health Benefit Insurance
- Call 770-345-7371 or 770-928-0133 for more information
Pickens County Health Department Drive-By Flu Shot Clinic:
- Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 1036 N. Main St., Jasper
- Tuesday, September 29, 2009
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- For People 18 years and older
- Cost is $20 - accepting cash, Medicaid and Medicare
- Call 706-253-2821 for more details
Whitfield County Health Department Drive-By Flu Shot Clinic:
- NW GA Trade & Convention Ctr, 2211 Dug Gap Battle Rd, Dalton
- Tuesday, Sept 29, 2009 & Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009
- 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- For People 12 years and older
- Cost is $20 - accepting cash, check, Medicaid and Medicare
- Call 706-226-2621 or 706-226-5446 for more details
The Gilmer County Health Department will start offering seasonal flu vaccinations to the public on Monday, September 28 at the health department in Ellijay at 28 Southside Church Street. The $20 flu shot may be paid for by cash, Medicaid, Medicare and State Health Benefit Insurance. For further details, call (706) 635-4363.
Below (under Related Documents) you will find flyers announcing these flu shot clinics, flu prevention posters, and an H1N1 fact sheet in both English and Spanish.