Department of Human Resources regulation require that all requests for vital records include the signature of the requestor and the proper fee.
Access to birth records is limited to:
- The person named on the certificate
- The parents shown on the birth record
- An authorized legal guardian or agent
- Grandparents of the person named on the certificate
- An adult child of the person named on the certificate
- An adult sibling of the person named on the certificate
- The spouse of the person named on the certificate
The person requesting a certified copy of a birth record must provide all the information below, a signed request form, and a photocopy of your valid photo ID, such as: driver's license, state issued ID card, or employer issued photo ID.
Request A Death Certificate
Certified copies of death records are available from 1919 to the present. Death certificates are available to the general public.
The person requesting a certified copy of a death record must provide the following information and a signed request:
- Full name of deceased
- Date of death (month, day, year)
- Place of death (city, county)
- Age of deceased at death
- Race (optional)
- The number of copies requested
- Relationship to deceased
Fetal Death Certificates
Contact the state office at (404) 679-4701 regarding certified copies of fetal death certificates.
You may also contact the Vital Records Section of the Georgia Division of Public Health for birth and death certificates in Georgia.